Monday, May 24, 2010

The Patience of God

Read 1 Timothy 1:12-17

But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life. 1 Timothy 1:16

I am blessed to be the father of six young children(with a seventh on the way!), four boys and two girls ranging in age from 12 years old to newborn. Each day my life is filled with so much wonder and excitement as my children are discovering their way in this world. Unfortunately, some of this “discovery” includes my children making very poor choices in how they deal with us as parents and how they deal with each other. Especially after a long day, I have a tendency to grow impatient with their arguing and stretching of our house rules.

But once the house is quiet, God has a way of reminding me how much I am like my own children. I think of how I constantly push the limits of what He wants for me, and how I too am in desperate need of mercy. I am humbled by His “unlimited patience” with me, and this humility creates a genuine desire in my heart to have the same kind of patience with those I love the most. God gently reminds me that I am an example of His love towards everyone I spend time with, especially my children.

God, today I am reminded of Your merciful and patient heart towards me. Help me to extend Your love and mercy towards those I love most today. In Jesus’ name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Mark, it is awesome to see God at work in every aspect of our lives. So many times we, as adults tend to think that we are the ones teaching lessons to children. But so often it is us who are being taught a lesson. Tony <><

    ReplyDelete