Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sitting in God’s Lap

Read Ephesians 3:7-13

In Him and through faith in Him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. Ephesians 3:12

Whenever I got in trouble at school growing up, my mother would tell me “Just wait until your father comes home.” When my father eventually came home from work, I would avoid talking to him for as long as possible. The expectation of his disapproval and the punishment I would receive was more than enough motivation to make myself scarce once my father found out what I had done. Often I would wait until my mother talked to him before I dared to myself because she would talk him through his initial reaction of anger.

In the same way, when I place my trust in Christ, He makes it possible for me to approach God in spite of my sin and shame. Because He has shouldered my punishment and has paid the penalty for my sin, I can rest in the power of God’s love and forgiveness. Whereas my earthly mother interceded for me with my earthly father, Jesus intercedes for me with God. Like a child, I can sit in my Heavenly Father’s lap without fear of rejection or punishment because of Jesus.

God, thank You for Your mercy and grace given through Jesus Christ. Through His sacrifice, I have abundant life in You. In Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment