Wednesday, June 2, 2010

God's Private Office

Read Romans 1:18-24

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-- His eternal power and divine nature-- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

A number of years ago, I had the privilege of visiting the Grand Canyon one weekend while speaking at a retreat in Arizona. As we made the drive up from Prescott, I pictured in my mind what the “big hole” would look like. I had seen pictures and heard stories, and I was excited to finally see for myself. My wife and I caught our first glimpse as we rounded a corner while approaching the south rim of the canyon. We were speechless. After parking and walking up to the rim of the canyon, we stood in silence as we took it all in.

Later that day, as the sun set over the canyon and the painted desert stretched out in the distance, my heart was filled with praise for God, the Creator of unspeakable beauty. I couldn’t help thinking that it would be hard to deny the existence of God standing at the edge of such a breathtaking view. I reluctantly drove away that day feeling as if I had just met with God in His private office.

God, remind me each day of Your unfailing love through the simple beauty of Your creation. In each sunrise and sunset, river and stream, songbird and sonnet, let me find You in all of Your glory! In Jesus’ name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that reminder, Mark! God certainly does reveal Himself to us in His creation, and I'm trying more and more to make it a point to see Him and His love in that. I really don't want to miss Him as he reveals Himself in the simplest of things.

    Jeremy Johnson
    www.theconnectionplace.org

    ReplyDelete